Framework Forum roundtable
Monday September 8, 2014, 13:15 – 18:00
Geneva Academy of International Humanitarian Law and Human Rights
Auditoire Jaques Freymond, rue de Lausanne 132 , Geneva
By invitation only
On December 5, 2013, the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) adopted the Report of the UN Open Ended Working Group on Taking Forward Multilateral Nuclear Disarmament Negotiations.
By resolution A/RES/68/46, the UNGA:
- called on the Conference on Disarmament and other relevant bodies to consider the proposals in the report,
- decided to seek the views of member States, and
- decided to review progress at the 69th Session of the UNGA to ‘further explore options for taking forward multilateral nuclear disarmament negotiations, including if necessary through the Working Group.’
This Framework Forum roundtable will examine key proposals discussed in the OEWG, Conference on Disarmament, Non-Proliferation Treaty Prep Coms and United Nations General Assembly - and explore what is required to remove the blocks and build political will to commence multilateral negotiations.
The Roundtable is organised by the Middle Powers Initiative (MPI), Parliamentarians for Nuclear Non-Proliferation and Disarmament (PNND), Basel Peace Office and Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung Geneva Office.
In preparation for the Sep 8 Roundtable, the Middle Powers Initiative (MPI) has released a briefing paper which calls for the commencement of a comprehensive diplomatic process to achieve a legal framework for the universal prohibition of nuclear weapons and for their phased elimination. See Middle Powers Initiative releases A Beacon of Hope!
Presentations and papers
- Building political will and momentum for nuclear disarmament, presentation by Martin Chungong, Secretary-General of the Inter Parliamentary Union;
- Perfect storm for a breakthrough, paper presented by Aaron Tovish, Mayors for Peace;
- From nuclear taboo to a prohibition (ban) on use: The next step to a nuclear-weapon-free world? Basel Peace Office food-for-thought paper;
- Making sense of abolition initiatives: Some key international civil society networks, campaigns and proposals for nuclear abolition;
Documents on the UN Open Ended Working Group
- Invitation from the UN Office of Disarmament Affairs to governments to submit views on Taking Forward Multilateral Nuclear Disarmament Negotiations by September 15 - English, Spanish, French
- Memo to governments from members of the Abolition 2000 Taskforce on the Open Ended Working Group recommending a renewal of the OEWG with specific tasks;
- Report of the UN Secretary-General on Taking Forward Multilateral Nuclear Disarmament Negotiations – UN Doc A/69/154, 17 July 2014;